Monthly Archives: October 2013

Project 365, #301: Holiday Cupcakes.

Image

Happy Halloween!

Okay, I know I didn’t actually take this photo on Halloween, but it’s totally holiday-themed!

Since I got back into baking again, Mum bought some really cute Halloween cupcake papers. Naturally, to celebrate the holiday I made two double-batches of cupcakes!

The first batch is lemon-walnut-spice, and the second (pictured above) is chocolate-orange topped with toasted coconut flakes. Both are modified coconut flour recipes, and utterly delicious. The lemon walnut spice is perfect with a cup of tea for breakfast, and the chocolate orange makes a smooth and divinely decedent dessert.

Leave a comment

Filed under Project 365

Project 365, #300: Twenties Starlet.

Three hundred down; only sixty-five left!

And to celebrate, I have a very special picture I took with my phone:

Image

Leave a comment

Filed under Project 365

Project 365, #299: Fringe.

Image

My semi-blank canvas….

I already had the white tank top I’d previously modified: cutting a panel out of the back to make an extra-large into a small, and leaving it open with grommets and lace instead of closing the seam.

Now I had black fringe, which meant I was ready to turn this top into the first part of my flapper ‘dress’.

 

Image

I started at the bottom, to see how much fringe I wanted to have hanging over the edge.

I had 9 yards of fringe to cover both this top and the stretchy black skirt I was using for the bottom half. I pinned each row with safety pins, so I could get the spacing right.

 

Image

Lots and lots of safety pins and fringe….

I used a “no-fray” glue at the end of each row before I cut it, which meant I took a lot of breaks waiting for it to dry. When I got about this far, I actually went back through all the rows to change the spacing to make it come out more evenly at the top.

 

Image

For all the sewing I do, I’ve never actually used a sewing machine very often (I’m pretty fast at hand-stitching by now). To tell the truth, I’m pretty nervous about using a sewing machine, and this project was not one for a beginner anyway.

Mum to the rescue! She did all the machine sewing for me, for which I was extremely grateful. And it turned out awesome!

 

Image

The last parts I stitched by hand.

It was along the narrow straps over the shoulders, which would be difficult on a machine. There were also a couple spots where it was too thick for the machine to catch, which I could simply tack down by hand at the same time.

 

Image

Finished!

As you can see in the reflection, I did corset lacing for the back — not actually laced up at the moment.

 

Image

Looks quite the thing, don’t you think?

Leave a comment

Filed under Project 365

Project 365, #298: Traffic.

Taken with my phone on the way home from work one evening, this photo shows the daily traffic jam as commuters have to go from two lanes to one on the devided highway past Kea’au.

Leave a comment

Filed under Project 365

Project 365, #297: Frittata Again!

Image

I had made more stuffing than I had room in the peppers for the previous Paleo dinner, so I saved it (of course) to use up the next day. Naturally — being on a bit of a kick after the success of my first attempt — this meant I turned it into a delicious frittata for breakfast!

Leave a comment

Filed under Project 365

Project 365, #296: Paleo Stuffed-Peppers.

Image

(Well, mostly Paleo, until I had the brilliant idea to add cheese over the top….)

From the Everyday Paleo recipe book, these peppers are stuffed with tri-tip steak, chilies, bell peppers, onion, and kale, and topped with sharp cheddar and green sauce. So yummy and an amazingly easy dish!

This is the second time I’ve made them, and I think they’d be a perfect course for a dinner party. They can be made ahead of time and finished off quickly — not to mention how impressive they look when I serve them up!

7 Comments

Filed under Project 365

Project 365, #295: Frittata.

13-10-22

I decided to make breakfast for my parents. I’d never made a frittata at home before (though I had a couple times as a line cook in a cafe), but it sounded like exactly what I wanted.

I sauteed up onion, carrots, and celery in bacon grease saved from our home-grown, home-made bacon. Then I added our home-grown eggs, seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders, and celery seeds. After it was about halfway cooked, I added feta cheese to the top and popped it in the oven.

Delicious!

Leave a comment

Filed under Project 365